Fall Cycle 09/2016 - 01/2017
Spring Cycle 02/2017 - 06/2017
Fairmount Innovation Lab is a startup incubator and accelerator that provides talented creative entrepreneurial residents of the Fairmount Corridor with outstanding resources to build sustainable enterprises, increase economic opportunity and create more vibrant communities.
FIL is an urban catalyst and agile central resource for the Fairmount Corridor, providing a place for innovative people to gather, work alongside one another, share resources, test ideas, and launch viable creative and social enterprises. Early stage startups at the Lab will
- expand their financial literacy
- learn lean business methods
- get guidance with industry specific (e.g. fashion), marketing, legal and other issues
- be matched with startup buddies and, when ready, with professional mentors
- access funding (micro-grants, 0% interest and other loans)
- build a network
- test and showcase new ideas, products and services
- get inspired and connect with a wealth of resources.
Prerequisite Competencies for Our Internships:
- Cultural Competence: At home in a culturally diverse environment
- Communication: Good communicator; responsive to emails
- Excitement: An eternal optimist that sees possibilities and loves to help people succeed
- Professional: Knowledge of how to act professional
- Collaboration: Proactively engages with others to establish productive, trusting, and informed working relationship to tackle challenges.
- Self-motivated: Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Strong organizational skills
- Integrity: Unfailing honesty in all matters. Committed to keeping all internal info about the Lab and the ideas that startups are working on confidential.
- Adaptable and sense of humour
Compensation: All Fairmount Innovation Lab interns are offered an unparalleled opportunity to participate in building a unique accelerator for urban startups, access to expert mentors and top service providers. Fairmount Innovation Lab provides significant professional development and growth opportunities and access to a network of innovators and entrepreneurs. Specifically, interns:
- Gain direct access to inspiring startups across all industries.
- Gain direct access to the highest quality resources, including industry experts/consultants, investors, corporate executives, politicians, university personnel and more.
- Learn how to optimize the growth of startups across multiple industries.
- Learn how and when startups should seek key resources and support.
The Fairmount Innovation Lab team devotes time and energy to supporting our interns to ensure your success. Please note that Fairmount Innovation Lab is a 501(c)3 nonprofit initiative (of Artmorpheus) and a startup, and all Fairmount Innovation Lab internships are unpaid.
Communications & Media Internship
Motivated intern will work closely with the team to create content about the lab for a variety of applications, including press outreach. Candidate must be able to be onsite at least part-time.
- Writing startups’ and Lab press releases and sourcing press contact information
- Working with the team to develop compelling visuals and press outreach strategies
- Reaching out to press in relevant publications to introduce them to or update on the Fairmount Innovation Lab
- Develop CRM tool to help manage press interactions and leads
- Produce and execute email newsletters to target audiences
- Connect with startups in the Lab as well as Alumni to discuss their PR goals and desired outcomes
- Startup, Made local, Community Development and Creative Economy Evangelist
- Eye for Aesthetics
- Attention to detail
Must obtain or be pursuing a Bachelor’s or a Master’s Degree (Marketing and Communications fields preferred). Previous PR experience a plus.
Content Marketing Internship
Marketing interns create consistent and strong content across all media platforms. This is critical to our positioning and branding across all areas of the organization. You will manage social media, design marketing campaigns, implement communications strategy, and generally promote the Fairmount Innovation Lab within the startup ecosystem. Must exhibit excellent writing skills and a strong social media background. Candidate must be able to be onsite at least part-time.
- Help determine and fully implement weekly social media strategy;
- Work with operations team to develop and execute marketing strategy;
- Concept and write posts related to progress of startups and activities in the Lab;
- Manage content to create blog posts;
- Produce and execute email newsletters ; and,
- Assist with ad hoc marketing efforts.
- Social Media: Comfort in various social media platforms but specifically Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook
- Eye for Aesthetics: You know how to identify images that are on brand and tell a story!
- Attention to detail: An eye for aesthetics and attention to detail from a code perspective
- Helpful (but not a deal breaker): You feel confident with WordPress, SquareSpace or other web platforms and have mastered content management systems
In this role, you will capture photos and videos at our many events and help the marketing team with special projects, such as interviews with key startups and supporters. You will gain experience in capturing, editing, and sharing content. Must have experience with different types of photo and video equipment, plus editing software (Adobe, FinalCut, Premiere).
Graphic Design Internship
Maintaining the Fairmount Innovation Lab brand and upholding it to our certain standards is always of the utmost importance. The Graphic Design Intern works with the FIL team to create content that creatively portrays our brand and analyzes all work to ensure that brand standards are considered in any print and online publications and materials. You will provide content for the website and create materials for various events, partnerships, and marketing needs. Must be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite.
Events & Operations Internship
Events & Operations interns touch all aspects of the Fairmount Innovation Lab, from office management to event planning to customer service. Events & Programming interns assist with the planning and execution of a wide range of events that occur before, during, and after the Accelerator program. Operations interns work with the entire Fairmount Innovation Lab team to coordinate all aspects of the Accelerator program as well as oversee the startups in the program. These positions provide interns access to many stakeholders.
Events & Programming – In this role, you will assist in planning and implementing a wide variety of programs and activities for the startups in the Accelerator program, as well as the community at large. You will gain first hand events management and logistics experience while attending and executing these events. In addition, you will communicate with outside organizations in order to schedule, plan, and execute events.
Operations – Operations at the Fairmount Innovation Lab involve a wide variety of activities from data analytics to customer service. You will collaborate with the entire team to prepare for and manage the Accelerator program. This includes curriculum, office hours, space maintenance, relationship management, surveys, alumni engagement, IT support, and oversight of the startups in the program.